Green tea has so many benefits for your brain that it truly can be called a brain tonic. Here are six ways it can help your brain:
- Green tea contains polyphenols. These powerful antioxidants improve mood and protect against Parkinson’s and other brain disorders.
- Polyphenols help regulate blood sugar levels, keeping your brain running smoothly on a steady supply of glucose.
- Tannins found in green tea may prevent the brain damage that occurs after strokes and other brain injuries.
- Green tea protects your brain by improving the flexibility of blood vessels, allowing more blood flow, nutrients, and oxygen to reach your brain.
- Green tea has a protective compound that increases levels of acetylcholine, an important neurotransmitter. It has also been found to prevent plaque buildup in the brain, which is suspected of contributing to Alzheimer’s.
- Green tea is a good source of l-theanine, an amino acid that creates theta brain waves and puts you in the same brain state as meditation. It also releases neurotransmitters that can improve memory recall, learning, and positive mood.
Findings show that you should drink at least 2 cups per day, or its equivalent in supplements to receive real benefits.
My Perfect Green Iced Tea Recipe
My favorite way to drink green tea is as iced tea. If you don’t make it right, however, it can be very bitter. Here’s how to make perfect iced green tea every time!
Place 4 bags into a quart container and fill with cold water, preferably filtered. I usually use flavored tea bags — peach, mango, orange, and berry are some of my favorites. Let it steep for 3-4 hours in the fridge.
That’s all there is to it! It will never be too weak or too bitter. Cold-brewed tea actually delivers more health benefits than hot-brewed, since none of the beneficial compounds are destroyed by heat.
Let me know how you like it!
Our Best Recommendations for Brain Health & Fitness
Native Remedies Bio-Oxidate Defense
Herbal antioxidant supplement with resveratrol
You're only as young as your cells. This powerhouse supplement contains the benefits of red wine, green tea, and rooibos tea in a concentrated formula to promote health and prevent damage and aging on a cellular level.
Personal biofeedback device
This small, simple but powerful handheld device helps you reduce stress, balance emotions, improve health and boost mental performance. Uses visual feedback to change your heart rhythm. HeartMath is the leader in innovative personal stress reduction solutions using emWave technology.