It’s widely accepted that your brain is like a muscle that needs to be used to stay fit. If your grandmother contended that doing the Sunday crossword puzzle kept her mind sharp, she was right. But now there are better ways to achieve peak brain performance.
Using brain training software is a new way to help you improve your memory and other mental functions that has some proof to back its claims. Posit Science is a leading brain training company that claims its software products will have you thinking faster, focusing better, and remembering more.
Important Update! Posit Science has recently switched from selling these programs on its website to selling a subscription-based online program called BrainHQ. Meanwhile, you can still buy Posit Science software programs at Marbles the Brain Store. BrainHQ runs $10 per month and there are some free exercises to try here.
Posit Science Products
Posit Science offers two software programs that claim to improve your memory and more.
Auditory Brain Fitness Program
Auditory is Posit Science’s original brain training program. It was developed to improve memory and concentration by focusing on the auditory part of your brain. I find this concept intriguing since much of what people have trouble remembering is information they have heard, rather than seen. Some audiologists recommend it because it has been found to help overall hearing as well as memory.
A large study conducted by Mayo Clinic and University of California confirmed these product claims:
- Improves memory by 10 years
- Speeds up auditory processing by 131%
- Helps you find words on the tip of your tongue
- Enhances ability to participate in and remember conversations
InSight Brain Fitness Training
This program, as the name implies, works on how well you take in, process, and remember information that you see. Studies have found this program can:
- Speed up visual processing three-fold
- Help you absorb more visual information
- Improve brain activation in areas related to attention and focus
Behind the Products
The credentials of Posit Science’s creator and Chief Scientific Officer, Dr. Michael Merzenich, are impressive. He is considered a leader in neuroplasticity research. It is the brain’s plasticity that enables us to continue to learn and adapt throughout life.
Dr. Merzenich has received numerous scientific awards and holds 50 patents, including one for the cochlear implant, which enables deaf people to regain hearing.
He co-founded Posit Science in 2003. The unusual name “posit” means to “to put forward or advance”.
Posit Science has a team of over 50 researchers and has a notable scientific advisory board that includes MDs and PhDs from 20 leading universities including Johns Hopkins, Yale, and MIT.
What Others Are Saying
Posit Science programs have been featured in prestigious publications such as Scientific American, Discover, National Geographic, and the Wall Street Journal, and on news programs including 60 Minutes, CBS News Sunday Morning, and ABC World News Tonight. Two PBS specials – “The Brain Fitness Program” and “Brain Fitness 2: Sight and Sound” – are based on Dr. Merzenich’s work.
I always look beyond a company’s website for unbiased reviews from real product users. Most feedback I found on independent sites about Posit Science programs was highly enthusiastic. Here are some typical user comments:
I found out about the Brain Fitness Program from my audiologist… After doing just half of the exercises, both my hearing and my memory noticeably improved… The dividends are remarkable.
CGG – Amazon.com
The Insight program is recommended by both AARP and Allstate Insurance to improve driving vision and reaction time. I’m in my 80′s and my performance improved in all of the tested categories.
Gordon Noble – Amazon.com
I’m loving my Brain Fitness program, and am experiencing some interesting affects – sharper sense of smell, a keener ability to remember details, and a renewed sharpness in word puzzles to name a few.
Melissa Clark James – Facebook
It is truly like a “gym” for the brain. You have to make up your mind to visit the program regularly (just like the gym) and see the results. The program is very easy to use! Try it… and give yourself a leg up especially if you are experiencing some of those “senior moments” I was having.
Charline Truitt – Amazon.com
The company has received 7,100 Likes on Facebook. They’ve also received a fair number of complaints there from customers with technology issues! Uh oh. I’ll talk about this in a minute.
Important! Before You Buy
There are a few things about these programs that I want you to be aware of.
- You don’t download the programs instantly. Discs will be sent to you in the mail.
- Each product comes with two user licenses so it can be used by two people or installed on two computers. If you want to use it on more computers or by more people, you’ll have to purchase an additional program.
- Each program is about 40 hours in length. It’s recommended you spend between 15 minutes to 1 hour per day working on the exercises. When you’re done, you can repeat the program as many times as you would like.
Now, let’s address those technology issues on Facebook! I read through the past six months’ worth of customer comments there (so you don’t have to ) and found there are two technical issues that have not yet been satisfactorily dealt with by the company.
- The programs won’t work if you are using a laptop with an external monitor.
- The programs also won’t work if you have a Mac with a Mac OS X Lion (version 10.7) operating system. The recommended fix is to download an Apple program called Boot Camp 4.0. If you haven’t upgraded to Lion, the program will work just fine on your Mac.
Finally, note that these products were designed with us older folks in mind. A rep from the company states on Facebook that they were not developed specifically for kids or younger adults. The company’s clinical studies were done on people 55 and older as well.
The Bottom Line
While there are many things I like about Posit Science, there are also some drawbacks to its programs.
- Posit Science is clearly a company with a strong background in neurological research and development. It has done studies to prove its claims. It’s received accolades in the news and is even associated with a PBS special.
- The Auditory program is unique in that it deals with auditory memory issues. I haven’t found another brain training program like it. I’m very excited about this product for the untold numbers of people with hearing-related memory issues.
- The products have very enthusiastic customers on third-party sites like Amazon.
- The 90 day money-back guarantee inspires confidence.
- These programs are not inexpensive compared to some other brain training programs. And for 40 hours of training with no updates or new material, they could eventually get boring. Compare this with Dakim BrainFitness which gives you over 300 hours plus updates for a similar price.
- I’m disappointed that the programs are not compatible with the latest operating system for Macs. The company says it is working on it and has offered a workaround, but in my book that’s not good enough!
I think Posit Science fills an important niche with its Auditory program. But unless you have special needs in this area, I would check out other programs before committing. See how Posit Science compares to four other brain training programs in Brain Training Programs Compared — Which is Right for You?
Our Best Recommendations for Brain Health
Brain training games
VIP Savings - 23% Off
Marbles the Brain Store
Brain fitness products
A unique online store for fun brain fitness products - software, games, puzzles, books, and more. A great collection for all ages. Buy for yourself or give as gifts. Always free shipping.